Premier League News & Scores

Premier League News & Scores

17 Mar 2011

Brunt Boosted by Boss Hodgson

Roy Hodgson has given his skipper a vote of confidence ahead of the Baggies' clash with Arsenal Saturday.

Many were expecting the former Liverpool manager to pass the Captain's armband back to keeper Scott Carson after Hodgson replaced Boaz Myhill with the for skipper.

But Hodgson has no immediate intention of restoring Carson's captaincy, putting his full faith in Brunts ability to lead the side through the final 9 games of the season.

"But I don't feel the need, with Carson having been out of the team and coming back in, to suddenly switch the armband back over.

"But I don't want that to be interpreted as not caring who the captain is, because I do think it is very important.

"I prefer an outfield player rather than a goalkeeper.

"I don't know why but I suppose it's conventional and conservative because most of my captains down the years have been midfielders or defenders.

"I think that is a good area from which to motivate the others.

"But certainly Chris Brunt has done well since he's been captain.

"I am happy to have him as captain, but had the captaincy been Olsson's or Carson's I would have been quite happy to accept that as well."

The Northern Ireland 26 year old has offered to step down from the role for Carson but Hodgson sees no reason to change anything yet, saying that the respect Brunt has from his team mates makes him an idea fit for the role.

"He is happy to relinquish it and he said if I wanted to give the captaincy back he would be happy with that.

"But I see no reason to do that.

"I think your captain has to be one of your better players and someone who has got the club and the team at heart, which is definitely the case with Brunt because he has been here for quite a long time.

"But also, it's got to be someone the other people respect in terms of playing ability.

"If he's got the personality to be a leader as well that's a bonus."

No comments:

Post a Comment